- For the purposes of this Section only, the following definitions shall be used:
- Group: A number of individuals assembled together that have some unifying relationship
- Library: Deerfield Public Library
- Meeting: An assembly for a common purpose
- With Cause: A good reason
Uses and Priorities:
The meeting room of the Deerfield Public Library is intended primarily for the Library’s own programs. However, from time to time, the Deerfield Public Library Board will allow the meeting room to be used by Deerfield area residents and non-profit community groups for their various meetings and/or their associated activities. The meeting room may be used for any purpose not expressly prohibited by this policy and its usage is subject to requirements and conditions stated hereafter in this section. This policy has been established by the Library Board and is subject to change based on need or circumstance.
- Meetings or activities that interfere with the normal function of the library or its staff.
- Monetary solicitation, except for the Library or Friends of the Library.
- Programs involving the sale, advertising or promotion of products or services. Programs sponsored by a private business firm, regardless of purpose.
- Personal or family purposes.
- Meetings which because of disruptive noise, activities, etc. may interfere with the regular use and functions of the library.
- Except for the Library and Village of Deerfield governmental entities, no group shall use the room for meetings more often than once a month.
- Groups that require space for an excess of 50 people.
Condition of Use:
- Generally, meetings shall be scheduled during hours when the Library is open. However, meetings may also be held when the Library is closed. Meetings held outside of normal library hours are subject to the approval of the Library Director and/or the Library Board. Meetings held outside of normal library hours may be subject to a fee to reimburse staff for time when they are required to be present for the duration of the meeting.
- Library equipment may be used at the discretion of the Library Director and/or Library Board. User will be responsible for any repairs or replacements necessary to equipment due to misuse by the group.
- Refreshments may not be served at non-library related meetings without pre-arranged approval. All consumable products must be provided by the group.
- The library does not provide storage space for equipment or supplies to be used by groups or individuals utilizing the meeting room.
- Smoking is not permitted.
- No alcoholic beverages may be served or consumed.
- The public library areas are not to be used for a baby-sitting service by groups or individuals using the meeting room.
- The group’s decorations, wall hangings, presentation materials or any other items may not be taped, stapled, glued or in any other way fastened to walls.
- Groups using the meeting rooms must agree to meet ADA (Americans With Disability Act) requirements. The group, at its own expense, is responsible for providing devices and/or accommodations for individual members requiring same when the required accommodations are not available as an installed feature of the library facility.
- Groups of youths under 18 years of age must have the application signed by a sponsoring adult. The adult must be present during the entire meeting and remain with the group during the entire time.
- The group shall return the meeting room to the same condition it was in when the user took responsibility for it.
- All group functions shall be free of charge to those attending.
Fees and Penalties:
- If no member of the staff is present and the Emergency Exit door (door to the main part of the library) alarm is set off because of non-emergency use of the door by the group, a fee of $20.00 will be charged to call a staff member to return to the library to reset the alarm.
- Required staff presence for library off hours meetings...$10.00 per hour.
Procedures of application:
- Meeting room reservations for groups other than library-related programs are allotted on a first come, first serve basis.
- An Application for Meeting Room Use shall be made in writing on a form available at the library or on our home page. Applications should be submitted at least one week prior to the requested event. Meeting Room reservations may be made in advance, but not further ahead than six months prior to the scheduled meeting. Groups having need for a meeting room on a regular monthly basis may apply for the meeting room scheduled for once a month for six months in advance of their events. With cause or prior notification to group having reserved the room, the Library Director and/or Library Board may cancel meeting room reservations.
- The application for use of the meeting room must be made by an authorized representative of the group intending to use the facility. In signing the Application for Meeting Room Use the authorized representative of the group agrees to abide by the terms and conditions herein stated.
- The Library Director shall grant or deny applications based upon the Library Board’s adopted policies as stated herein. The Library Director shall refer exceptional applications to the Library Board for disposition.